Monday 23 June 2008

NASS Report By R1 Rider Keir Lindsay

NASS 08 was, as expected, a riot! After a quick 8 hour train journey from Glasgow, Scotland we (Me and my friend Stu) arrived at Shepton Mallet Showground on Friday evening at around 8 O'clock.

After signing in we went for a wander and were swiftly diverted to the 'Relentless Athlete tent' where we were assured we would be 'looked after'. On arrival we were pointed to the bar where we could get some refreshments and the best part was they were free!

I met up wth a few of my mates from Leicester; Cal, Jock and Dan Mac. Big Jock had already had one refreshment too many by the looks of things and everyone was in good spirits chilling on this big balcony. At this point I was introduced to Sam Currie and Lee Mainland (both Route One Riders) for the first time. With them I also met Paul Bates (Route One Rider) who I had met briefly in London at the Chris Farmer DVD premiere. All very pleasant gentlemen! Zak Buys (Route One Rider) was also there with the young Jamesy, both holding it down for the Kingdom of Fife.



Click here to read the rest...
After a pretty good night we went to the Route One Stand in the morning where we got to meet all the staff working at the stall, which was packed to the gunnels with bargains and all sorts of goodies. Loads of people had also been signing up for the shoe competition which was happening every hour.


Rich Barber (Route One Rider) and I decided to start stacking boxes to see what the limit was that we could get to to jump. I think the highest we got was 6 boxes and about chest height! I’ve never jumped that high and I’m sure it was because it wasnt a brick wall or metal pole so I wasn't suffering from the fear factor. Shows you how much skating is in the mind.

Then at about 10 o'clock we headed through to the skate park where the competition was being held. Stu Game was trying to get a few clips but it was pretty hard because there was like 300+ people everywhere, most on bmxs. 1 or 2 bmxers kept going and just doing massive tailwhips and tail 360s: it was intense. A photographer for Route One was also there taking photos of the team.


At 11.30 the rollerblading started to take the course and we got about a 1 hour session before the am comp started.

My 1st run consisted of 1 540 then I fell and walked off. It must have looked like I threw a right wee hissy fit but the truth be known you have to be super consistent in these comps and one fall is not really allowed. So for my second run I was intent on not falling. I had a pretty good run; 540 the litte picknick table box 360 the lunch box front farv to flat on the far quarter, backroyal the driveway to flat then over for a cab 5 then a we 360 over the hip beside the wallride finnishing with a 270 backackslide on the rail.


Loads of sick American skaters were there and I found myself liaising with Brian Aragon on the little rail but he only did a few tricks because he was obviously quite limited on it compared to me.

Chilling with Eric Bailey and Stockwell is always fun because these guys have some good banter. I also got to meet Brent Hicks and Demetrious George for the first time, so thanks for making the long journey over guys.

Look out for me and my boy Dre Powell negotiation the size of the Vans tour bus in the next razors podcast: gotta love Dre man - he's such a cool cat and possibly one of the most friendly people I have ever met.

Then we went and skated the Gibbon Slackline out at some pavillion, with Paul Bates, Rich Barber, Zak Buys and Gibbon Slackline world champion Scott Quinn. Much to the amusement of Chaz Sands!!


After that we went and skated the rail outside a toilet then we skated a drop rail with a 2 inch run up. Then it was about 10 o’clock at night and I still hadn’t had my breakfast. Oops!

When I woke I watched the pro comp, ate a bit of my friends cornish pasty and started to feel sick. Then I had a 12 hour drive up the road being sick out the side of my mate’s car. I had to go to hospital and have been here for 2 days. I'm still in here and writing this from the hospital. Stay away from pasties kids. Nass 08 sick as ever!

Thanks Keir, you rock, check out his profile right here.

No comments: